Fitbit released a sleep tool to help millions of Fitbit to improve their sleep consistency and overall health. Fitbit stated, that sleep plays a critical role in health and wellbeing and is protecting against cardiovascular disease, diabetes and obesity, to boosting neurocognitive functions, mental health and longevity.
The new tool is part of the Fitbit app and can be used with all Fitbit sleep tracking devices.
These tools are the first in a series of new sleep features being developed in collaboration with Drs. Michael Grandner at the University of Arizona, Allison Siebern at Stanford University, and Michael Smith at Johns Hopkins University.
According to Fitbit’s sleep experts, adhering to a consistent sleep routine is one of the most important things people can do to improve their sleep: “If you’re constantly changing your sleep routine, it can have the same effect as giving yourself jetlag because you are continually changing your circadian rhythm, also known as your internal clock, which can negatively impact your health and wellness,” said Michael Grandner, PhD, MTR, CBSM. “To improve your physical performance, mental health and cognitive functions, you should aim to get a sufficient amount of sleep each night and be consistent with the times you go to sleep and wake up each day. Fitbit’s new Sleep Schedule tool makes it easier for people to see how much sleep they’re actually getting in order to establish a healthy routine – this has the potential to help millions of people around the world improve their sleep and overall wellbeing, which is really exciting.”
Enough sleep can also positively impact
- how much you exercise the next day,
- is vital to post-training recovery
- and is playing an integral role in the body’s ability to repair itself.
Fitbit: Enhanced Sleep Tracking Features
The new Sleep Schedule features on the Fitbit:
- Sleep Goal: Based on your sleep data from your Fitbit tracker, you can follow the app’s personalized recommendations or set your target number of hours to make sure you’re getting enough sleep each night.
- Bedtime and Wake Up Targets: Based on your sleep goal and past sleep behavior from your Fitbit tracker, the app will recommend target bedtime and wake up times. You can customize these based on your personal preferences and schedule.
- Bedtime and Wake Up Reminders: To help you reach your sleep goal and regularly go to bed and wake up more consistently, you can receive push notification reminders on your smartphone. You can also set a silent wake alarm on your Fitbit tracker based on your wake up target.
- Sleep Schedule History Chart: Track your sleep consistency over time to determine if you’re meeting your goals or if you need to adjust your sleep schedule.