The GPS accuracy of cycling devices is often discussed! Therefore, I show here some activity recordings of mountain bike trips in Germany, Italy and Switzerland – so that cyclists can evaluate the GPS accuracy of current Garmin, Hammerhead, Wahoo & TwoNav devices themselves.
One important point should be noted when comparing the cycling devices: Since the devices are mounted next to each other on the handlebar, it cannot be ruled out that the GPS receivers influence each other. In addition, the receivers are shielded by the body.
This is something to keep in mind when looking at the map!
- Recording interval always 1s
- Altimeter with manual calibration at startup (unless I forget …), auto calibration activated
- GPS receiver with the GNSS listed below
- Garmin Edge 1030 Plus: GPS + GLONASS
- Garmin Edge 830: GPS + GLONASS
- Garmin Edge 530: GPS + GLONASS
- Garmin Edge Explore: GPS
- Hammerhead Karoo 2: GPS + GLONASS + Beidou + OZSS (review)
- Wahoo ELEMNT BOLT 2: GPS + GLONASS + GALILEO + Beidou + OZSS
- TwoNav Cross: GPS + GLONASS + GALILEO
GPS accuracy of cycling devices – Examples from mountain biking
In some examples, a Garmin GPSMAP 66sr outdoor handheld is used as a reference. Important: The GPSMAP is more favorably attached to the backpack in terms of GPS reception, which is clearly evident in some tracks!
Mountain bike regions:
- Bavarian Alps (Germany)
- Ascona, Lago Maggiore (Switzerland)
- Valle Maira, Piedmont (Italy)
To display the color coding, move the mouse pointer to "Tracks", where you can also show/hide individual tracks. Full screen mode via the symbol in the upper right corner; map selection via the layer symbol on the right side.
Loading the data may take some time!
GPS accuracy of cycling devices – summary
In my opinion, there are no really drastic differences between the used cycling devices – all GPS devices provide convincing records in total. Each device weakens here and there, but the deviations are completely within the usual range and should be insignificant for mountain biking, gravel biking and touring.
How the GPS accuracy affects the recognition of Strava segments was not part of this review!