Our tutorial shows you how to install OSM maps!
How to find free OSM maps for Garmin GPS devices?
Read our article: Free maps for your Garmin GPS handheld (overview, download links)
How to install OSM maps?
For our tutorial we are using maps from garmin.openstreetmap.nl, a free service with different choices but a simple interface.
Installation – As easy as pie!
- The easiest way – choose a predefined country like “British Columbia” (figure below)
- Click “Download map now”
- You get a new page with all available downloads for British Columbia; download “osm_generic_gmapsupp.zip“.
- Unzip the “osm_generic_gmapsupp.zip” file.
- You have a new file “gmapsupp.img” in the download folder.
- Rename the “gmapsupp.img” file, e.g. to “openstreetmap.nl_BC_feb_18.img” (source_country_date)
- Copy the IMG-file into the “Garmin” folder of a micro-SD card (best) or into the internal memory of the GPS device (e.g. fenix 6X Pro).
- Boot the device and enable the new map in the settings.