100% free OpenStreetMap maps are a great resource for your Garmin GPS. You can use these maps for hiking, backpacking, cycling, hunting … on compatible Garmin devices like fenix 6X Pro, Edge 1030 Plus, Oregon 750t, Montana 700, GPSMAP 65s and all other GPS devices with the ability to add maps.
My tutorial shows you how to install OSM maps!
Frequently asked – How To Install Free OSM Maps On Your Garmin GPS – In short!
- Download the map as image file (e.g. "gmapsupp.img" or "otm-us-pacific.img")
- Rename the IMG-file (e.g. "opentopomap-US-pacific-2020-01.img")
- Connect the GPS device to your PC or laptop (mass storage mode)
- Copy the IMG-file with the Windows explorer to the folder \Garmin (internal memory or memory card)
- Disconnect the device from the PC
- Activate the map in the settings
- Enjoy your new map
How to find free OSM maps for Garmin GPS devices?
Read my article: Free maps for your Garmin GPS handheld (overview, download links)
Quick links – Some recommended websites for free OSM maps
- Freizeitkarte (english, European maps)
- Frikart (english, European maps)
- OpenTopoMap (german, worldwide)
- GPSFileDepot (english, worldwide)
- OpenStreetMap (english, worldwide)
Example OpenStreetMap.nl – How to install OSM maps?
For my tutorial I’m using maps from openstreetmap.nl, a free service with different choices but a simple interface.
Installation – As easy as pie!
- The easiest way – choose a predefined country like "British Columbia" (figure below)
- Click "Download map now"
- You get a new page with all available downloads for British Columbia; download "osm_generic_gmapsupp.zip".
- Unzip the "osm_generic_gmapsupp.zip" file.
- You get a new file "gmapsupp.img" in the download folder.
- Rename the "gmapsupp.img" file, e.g. to "openstreetmap.nl-BC-2020-01.img" (source-country-date)
- Copy the IMG-file into the "Garmin" folder of a microSD-card (recommended) or into the internal memory of the GPS device (e.g. fenix 6X Pro).
- Boot the device and enable the new map in the settings.
Example OpenTopoMap – How to install OSM maps?
- See description at the beginning of this article
- After the download you can rename the file (e.g. "otm-us-pacific.img" = "opentopomap-US-pacific-2020-01.img")
- Copy the image file to the \Garmin folder
- Activate the map in the settings (screenshot, GPSMAP 66sr)
The OpenTopoMap is a bit special, the map does not contain contour lines. You can download a separate file with contour lines ("otm-us-pacific-contours.img"), the installation is carried out as previously described.